In 2012, Sebastian Bartkowicz (Candle) asked me if I could write a BIOS to realize the PBI hard disk functionality he was developing for the Incognito. During the months that followed, Candle thought of more and more things to add (such as the ability to read and write disk images mounted in the FAT partition of the CF card), and after weeks of coding and debugging, we had something approaching a final version.
In 2015, a desire to significantly broaden the functionality of Incognito and correct some problems with the PBI BIOS led me to completely re-write the the firmware for the device, including the main BIOS, PBI BIOS and XEX loader.
Among new features provided by the firmware are the following:
- A PBI implementation of Matthias Reichl’s High-Speed SIO code which does not require OS patching and which works with external cartridges
- The ability to set the system date and time from inside the BIOS setup utility
- Expanded PBI BIOS settings on a dedicated menu page
- System information page showing video standard, CPU speed, etc
- User-selectable BIOS hotkeys
- Configuration profiles
- BIOS plugin API for user-defined external device control
- New, faster XEX loader supporting multiple FAT partitions, APT partition mounting and recursive searching
- SIO2BT support (at up to 56kb/s) and high-speed SIO for PCLink and other serial devices
- Built-in CIO “Z:” RTC device handler
New to Version 3
- Number of BIOS configuration profiles increased from three to four
- Massively faster and more powerful loader search facility
- Loader’s built-in FAT DOS now supports subdirectories
- Loader now remembers the last accessed FAT folder
- Loader scripts may include paths
- Loader can now open the location of any already mounted image
- Usability improvements to the loader and BIOS setup menu
- Optional synthetic ‘IO sound’ with ATRs and hard disk partitions
- Improved loader compatibility
- Several important bug fixes
Important: If you wish your existing configuration profiles to survive the update process, please activate profile 1 before performing the update.
Note: The firmware consists of three separate files: the Main BIOS, SIDE loader and PBI BIOS, which should be updated IN THAT ORDER. The machine should then be power-cycled.
Loader Quick Reference
In light of the fact that firmware licensing revenue is modest and that updates are offered for free to the end user, donations are welcomed and appreciated. Indeed, it has been my mission to facilitate easy and safe firmware updates, and regular in-the-field upgrades are encouraged to ensure that devices remain up to date and bug fixes are delivered in a timely manner.