After developing a new main BIOS and PBI BIOS for Ultimate 1MB and Incognito, I decided to write a completely new XEX loader. Presented here is the stand-alone (not requiring U1MB) ROM version of the resulting loader for the SIDE/SIDE2 cartridge. Several features are new to the revised loader; others simply build on the functionality of the original. As of version 4.2, the SIDE Loader shares the newer UI design found in the SIDE3 Loader. Features offered include:
- Fast and powerful recursive search facility capable of scanning thousands of files and folders on FAT16 and FAT32 volumes
- Automatic recall of the last accessed folder on the last accessed FAT partition
- High-speed XEX loading
- Handling of up to fourteen multiple FAT partitions
- Redesigned sixteen-line directory display
- The ability to load BASIC programs
- FAT loader capable of loading files as low as $0A80
- CIO FAT file system driver allowing read access to the host volume from XEX programs
- Full path support in CIO FAT file system and in MAP files
- Handling of large (more than 250 files) folders
- Reverse lookup of a mounted ATR or APT partition
You can download the latest version (4.2) of the loader for SIDE and SIDE2 via the link below. The archive contains the stand-alone loader, SDX ROMs, complete ROMs (SDX and loader), as well as ROMs containing ebiguy’s patched OSS language carts (Action!, BASIC XL, BASIC XE, and MAC/65).
Loader Quick Reference
Licensing and Donations
In light of the fact that firmware licensing revenue is modest and that updates are offered for free to the end user, donations are welcomed and appreciated. Indeed, it has been my mission to facilitate easy and safe firmware updates, and regular in-the-field upgrades are encouraged to ensure that devices remain up to date and bug fixes are delivered in a timely manner.